Friday, January 27, 2012

Amen, sister

Here is a recent post from another blogger I follow, New Girl on Post. She mostly writes about travel and living abroad, but her post Tuesday was poignant, and something I think we all struggle with.

So, a few disclaimers. I believe in health, moderation (truly, even with my random stash eating and baking blowouts), and enjoying the good things in life. I try and balance exercise when I can, meals with nutrients I need, and indulgences that keep me happy.

But I agree with New Girl's post -- we (I say this as a society, and as a woman) have to stop focusing well-being around size and scale numbers.

My jean size and weight do not signify how I love or am loved. They don't represent how well I do my job or keep the promises I make. Those numbers don't make me beautiful. The numbers don't make a difference in the world. (Sorry for getting a little carried away there, but seriously).

They don't represent my cholesterol levels, blood pressure, or energy during the day, although those are much better metrics for my well-being.

Every woman (and probably a lot of men) knows this scene. We turn around and complain to our cube mate at work that we had a handful of M&M's yesterday and didn't make it to the gym. We worry to our friends that we gained 5 pounds, or we celebrate when we have lost 5 pounds by eating yogurt for lunch. We tell ourselves that we feel fat/look fat/have to start dieting. We obsess over the numbers and put ourselves down. We idolize models whose Photoshopped-figures are truly unattainable.

It's a hard cycle to break. I do it without realizing. Even this week, when we did our weigh in and 2-week fit test for our Insanity challenge, I was discouraged somewhat because my weight stayed the same. Why did I care? Would I really have gone back in time and denied myself the treats I had? Probably not. What I really should have been thinking first was that I had worked out more consecutive days in a row than ever, I was getting stronger, and I had more energy than before. I was recovering faster after working out, and that means my cardiovascular health was improving.

My health was improving.

This is sort of a serious/rambling post, but it means a lot to me. I think we need to start changing the conversation. Certainly I understand how weight/image and health are connected, but why don't we talk more about the risks of weight/image being the first and only priority? What about how happiness is connected to all of it?

I'm a happier person when I'm keeping the balance mentioned above (I want my chocolate, people!). And I want the important people in my life to be healthy and balanced, too. I don't care what size they are. I think they are beautiful. I only care about getting as many healthy years with them as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment