Thursday, July 7, 2016

Cat's Out of the Bag

For those of you who are friends with Tim on FB and saw his album, we are nearing the finish line on an amazing vacation -- what Tim called a "Babymoon."

Yep.

I was a little hesitant to see Tim put that out there at first, but then again -- it's the truth, and it's getting weird avoiding all references on social media. So, it's out there! We are having a baby in November! I've been craving lemonade/lemon foods and I've been feeling great.

We have been telling friends, family -- work -- along the way, but have refrained from big announcements. Why the silence after I poured my heart out this winter about our struggles with infertility? For two reasons, I guess...

1. After getting bad news for a long time, you never really get over the feeling that the bottom is going to drop out. (Google is not my friend.) I know so many people who know exactly what I'm talking about. Even though we have had a really smooth/healthy pregnancy so far..... it's just hard to let it be "real." I've had to work hard to just be grateful for every day of this blessing, even if the worst thing could still happen. I Also, I remember how much it stung to see announcements when we were in the thick of it, and didn't want to add to another person's private struggle.

2. I struggle with my personal feelings about big 'ol facebook announcements. But you have a blog! You say. But you have shared super personal things here! Yeah..... I have. It's weird. I feel compelled to put things out there in the social webs... then at the same time, I have a dislike for huge staged social announcements, social TMI and a culture shift toward a "posted" life. The struggle is real, my friends. It'll only get worse when we have a cute new baby (son!) and I'll want to make it rain with updates and photos of him.... only to fret about the unknown dangers of putting his little life out into the interwebs on display. I know. I KNOW.

So, there you have it. This vacation has been like a chapter turning. It's allowed me the mental space to actually feel OK putting these thoughts out there, and process this transition a bit more. It's marked a physical transition where strangers are making comments and where Tim can actually feel our baby kick, too.

And oh, the books. I feel like I'm cramming for the biggest test of my life. All you current parents out there can have a laugh at my expense, but reading books on babies helps me feel like I'll have a tiny bit of control over our lives after we bring an infant home :)

We head back to Iowa tomorrow, back to our lives. We will stay insanely busy with work and family and friends in July, and when you mix extra appointments in there at the doctor and with potential childcare providers (heaven help us), time is going to fly.

But we just feel so lucky. Every day. We are lucky to be where we are, and with so.... so many supportive people. Thank you for being among them!

I suppose that's as good a place as any to close this up. Until next time, over and out.



No comments:

Post a Comment