Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oh no, she didn't

I decided that I would try and cut out the sweets during the week, a la my-favorite-blogger-I-would-want-to-be-besties-with Iowa Girl Eats. I'm only 24 hours into that decision, and I've ALREADY decided what I want to bake this weekend.

I really haven't spent much time baking since my Christmas cookie whirlwind. I've said it before, but cooking and baking is the only science I can really get excited about, and this weekend, I'm going to try two new things -- chocolate and tarts.

Thank you Martha Stewart.

I'm technically breaking my rule, because 2 of the three recipes will go to work with me for a birthday Friday (which is not the weekend). Sorry, friends. But if I'm successful, these could make appearances at your next gathering. Invite me. I might be chatty and slightly narcissistic (hello, I have a blog), but I show up with the goods.



These seem to combine more than a few favorites into one treat. Chocolate? Check. Peanut Butter? Check. A cookie made primarily of butter? Ch-ch-check. I think the square part is really just a suggestion, only if you like your treats all cute and bite-sized. I prefer mine by the sliver every time I walk into the kitchen, until half the pan is gone. Mine aren't going to look that pretty because I can't be bothered to buy a basket-weave chocolate mold.

Recipe No. 2 = Chocolate Ganache Tart


The motivation behind this one was fairly simple. Try a ganache, try an almond tart crust, and finally use the sweet little tart pans I got in my stocking this Christmas. The tarts and the shortbread are headed to work with me. 

Recipe No. 3 = Flourless Chocolate Cake


Oh, yes. Because this one doesn't lend itself well to single servings or travel, this one is staying home. I've had this dessert at countless restaurants, and this recipe is surprisingly easy (looking). All three of these recipes are, actually, otherwise I probably wouldn't have stacked so many into a single kitchen-lab experiment.

The science part of all of these is similar -- melt chocolate and add ingredients to it, and not make it seize up in the pan/bowl. I got really excited about finding the right chocolate to use and finally buying parchment paper. More excited than I get about buying clothes/shoes. Sad?



No comments:

Post a Comment