Monday, June 4, 2012

Pausing the Merry-Go-Round

But only for a moment....

I can't believe another MONTH has gone by and we are officially into summer. It's been hot, we have things that need to be watered and clipped in our backyard, and when we aren't actually participating in plans with friends and family, we are talking about the new ones we have for the next few months.

It's going to be a very busy summer.

Up first = I take my GMAT in less than a week. I've been studying a few hours every other day or so, and over the weekend, I totally bombed a math practice test. I've spent the last three weeks trying to re-learn everything I struggled with from 5th grade through high school, and the practice test was a huge reminder of why I was a liberal arts major to begin with.

I put some distance between me and the quant-monster this weekend, and I'll spend the rest of my study time this coming week just trying to get myself up to "average." In fact, I don't want to blow away this test, I just want to do well enough to get into my program and move on. What employer really wants to test your ability to reverse-FOIL a polynomial? That's what I thought.

The studying has been good, however. I feel smarter (?) and it's been good practice getting used to living with a little guilt gut all the time. Oh, you don't remember guilt gut? Let me refresh your memory.

Guilt gut: (n). The feeling you get when you've procrastinated all day, only to completely avoid doing something that you need to do. Guilt gut reaches its peak at 7 p.m. when you are watching TV and thinking about how you should have done X.

Some of you might experience this with exercise, house cleaning, and other loathsome tasks. I occasionally do in other areas, but studying and doing homework have been the worst causes of guilt gut for me. So much so, that I now enjoy cleaning because it provided slight relief from study guilt gut. (Cleaning is productive and therefore not a total waste of time when you are avoiding your textbooks, in my mind). By the way, our house has never been cleaner.

I will be relieved after this test is over and hopefully, I'm admitted. But I fully realize that when class starts, I'm in for a full 3-5 years of consistent guilt gut with assignments and tests. Better to get used to it now!

After the test and a busy weekend celebrating a friend's bachelorette, I'll have a few weeks of downtime to relax and enjoy the slower side of summer before things pick up again.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment