Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Expectation vs. Reality

So, I feel like I am starting a theme here with my blog posts, but being an adult implies changes in your life. And I'm having a hard time accepting it, ESPECIALLY around the holidays. I had a mini-freak out last night after a day full of figuring out Christmas plans with the family. I kept trying to identify WHAT I was so upset about. And here it is.

The way Christmas should be, in my head:

There is snow on the ground.
Traditions like baking, Christmas movies and songs make me feel warm and fuzzy.
We are all together (in my world, this means siblings, parents, cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents)
We do wholesome things, like playing games or cards around a table.
There has been, or will be singing. (Christmas carols, Handel's Messiah....)
Lovingly signed, sealed, and delivered Christmas cards.
Work? Don't worry about it. You have all the time you need.
We drive around and look at Christmas light displays. They are magical. We feel warm and fuzzy.

This is what is really happening:

There is no snow. It's barely cold.
Light displays in my neighborhood are tasteful (which means NOT magical), and they could use a snow backdrop.
Getting family together is like corralling cats and comparing schedules is worse than final exams in college.
I force myself to watch movies and listen to Christmas music to "get in the mood" for the holiday. Instead of warm and fuzzy, I'm a grumpy bugger with stress headaches.
Work is busier than ever. Calculating time off so we can see family AFTER the holiday.
I bought Christmas cards, but can't find the willpower to do them (at the last second)

So, here I am, fully aware that Christmas as an adult is different than when you're young. The adjustment has been hard, but I am optimistic that I'll figure it out. I need to relax when plans are unsure, and just take some real time to think about why this season IS special -- we're all united again as a family and as a society (regardless of what traditions you follow). We are still getting the chance to spend time with each other, even if it's not the same way we used to. And as for the snow, well.... now I'm just being unreasonable.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Surely, if you were to travel north to SD you would find snow, but with a work schedule instead of a school schedule that gives an automatic holiday break...well, enjoy that warm fire by the tree..glass half full!

    ReplyDelete