Thursday, April 14, 2011

This message was brought to you by FOOD.

So, my tutoring orientation went GREAT. The people at the center are really nice, and I start next Tuesday with my student, Margarito from Guatemala.

It's weird to think of how much we take language for granted. During orientation, the education coordinator said that students' success stories usually center around being about defend themselves in the world. As in, a woman who was told she owed a rental fine, and she KNEW she turned her materials in on time, was able to explain herself to the clerk, and avoided spending money (that she probably didn't have!) I'm really excited to approach this volunteer opportunity knowing that. Language is power.

So, to the topic of my post. Eventually, I'd really like to volunteer a little on the shelter side of CAC. Aside from free tutoring, they office a transitional housing shelter for women who need to get back on their feet. I can't stop thinking about these women. They are likely trying to come back to life from a substance abuse problem, emotional issues that are leaving them helpless, or any number of other problems that make me just happy to have my life. I want to DO something comforting for someone else.

For me, that means food.

I really hate all the obsessing we do over body image, weight, and food. Overall health is a GREAT goal, but what good is a perfectly toned body if you have to stress yourself out by denying your natural need for food and fullness?

I LOVED coming home from school to the smells of my mom cooking in the kitchen. I loved wintery weekends with something baking in the oven, and summers with the grill on. Food IS comfort. And I don't mean fast-food-processed crap. I mean real, slow food eaten at a table.

I'd like to try cooking for the CAC once a month. We'll see if I actually get up the courage to ask, but anymore, I turn to my kitchen for solace, and I want to share that with some women who would either like to join me in chopping/mixing..... or just think about their day with something good-smelling wafting over them.

Just my thoughts for the day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment